Budapest Architect: Building of the Month - Overview
Topics: Introduction * Building of the Month  * Building of the Month  * Building of the Month 
Fasori reform√°tus templom
FŇĎv√°rosi Vakok Int√©zete
A very beautiful church, both in appearance as interior and designed in the period 1911-1913 by the architect Alad√°r √Ārkay (1868-1932). The church is still in use for services and the community has about 900 active members.
The design of the church, both internally and externally, has Art Nouveau elements, but is also inspired by the Finnish architecture and the traditional architecture as can be found in Transylvania. Nowadays the interior is still intact and is of great beauty and very, very special.
It is a robust building which mainly in the details shows the playfulness and creativity of the architect. The Jewish influences are still visible, although the former synagogue already almost 70 years not as such is recognizable. The fence around the building is a beauty and full of surprises.
A building in a neighborhood that a tourist not shall visit as quickly as there are few "normal" tourist attractions to be found and it is located outside the city center. However, a very interesting building, both inside and outside, although you should have luck to view the building at the inside.
A majestic building with late Art Nouveau influences, but also a return to neo-styles. Although damaged during the war years, this school is restored its former glory and is now an official monument. The many decorations used in the building refer to the Hungarian version of Art Nouveau from whom √Ėd√∂n Lechner is regarded as the founder.
OTI sz√©kh√°za / Budapesti Ker√ľleti Munk√°sbiztos√≠t√≥ sz√©kh√°za
V. Falk Miksa utca 13
VIII. Baross utca 74
VI. Bajscy-Zsilinszky √ļt 63
I. Szil√°gyi Dezs√∂ t√©r 3
The construction of the right side in the period 1929-1931 consisted till 1969, of a 75 meters high tower that was regarded as a skyscraper. Only the lower part of the tower remained.Special attention deserves the series of 24 beautiful reli√ęfs on the facade, which, inter alia, were made by the sculptor Gyula Maugsch. These images both warn for hazards that may occur in unsafe work as show crafts. Julius shows 6 of these reli√ęfs.
The Catholic church was built between 1924-1926 on the Buda side of Budapest. From the outside a church which looks fairly robust, with particular playfulness in the details at the entrance of building.
From the inside ... very very colorful and a ceiling in the ship with Wiener Werkstatte and Art Deco influences, a beautiful mosaic, and many other decorations. If you have a chance to look inside the church: do! The chimes of 1938, that only at certain times can be heared and viewed also is very special!
Emil Vidor, architect of Jewish descent was responsible for this very special building, full of surprising details, especially on the inside. The exterior has suffered greatly by World War II.
The building was during the years thoroughly rebuilt from the outside and has little left of its original beauty. Internally many original features are to be found, which partly were restored in its former glory. Among this, a beautiful stained-glass window designed by Karoly Kernstock and beautiful tiles.
An interesting building with a for the brothers really quite simple facade. Striking is the beautiful door and internal the stairwell still includes many original details. The railings of the staircase is one of the more beautiful in Budapest. The building is also notable for the very shallow depth and a very, very small courtyard.
As far as Julius know, it is the first building designed in Budapest by Gyula Fodor. The facade is still a bit sober, but the entrance door and the interior are already in the "Fodor" style, in which he often collaborated with the same artists such as Miksa R√≥th for the stained-glass windows.
A beautiful building that in terms of the facade already for years is awaiting on restoration, especially the roof is in a bad condition.
This is a known fact for the buildings of the architect Gyula Fodor and, after the June episode in which the Nap√≥leon-Udvar was shown in words and pictures, this is the second building of this architect which is put in the spotlight. And...it certainly will not be the last one!
The most remarkable parts are the stained-glass windows in the semicircular stairwell and especially the pictures of animal figures which also returns in the lamp in the hall. For the rest it is a rather austere building. The architect, Fl√≥ris Korb, was co-responsible for the design of the Zeneakad√©mia (Liszt Ferenc concert hall and conservatory)
Currently, an apartment building, but originally as am 8-room house built for the minister Walk√≥ and his family. A building that follows more the Western form of Art Nouveau. Both inside and outside restored and the facade contains one of the most beautiful tile panels from the city, designed by G√©za Mar√≥ti. Beside of it are the many images of animals on the facade very special. Also inside Art Nouveau influences can be seen, with as highlight the strut in the hall / stairwell.
Yet this building is one of the, if not the earliest Art Nouveau building in Budapest that dates from 1897. In terms of style of the facade decoration it's a modern building, and with the Viennese / Western form of Art Nouveau. The architects of this building: Frigyes Spiegel and F√ľl√∂p Weinr√©b. Around the same years this duo definitely has designed 15 early Art Nouveau buildings in Budapest.
Built in the period 1910-1913 to the plans of the architect B√©la Lajta (1873-1920). This business school is already at the outside a monumental building, but at the inside a building that unreserved can be defined as "very valuable". It still has many original details such as murals, lamps and furniture. All designed by the architect himself and with undeniable influences of the Wiener Werkst√§tte. It's one of the architectural highlights in Budapest.
Designed by an architect who, especially later in his career, was responsible for the design of many Lutheran churches and also the architect of the building that anyone will notice when he or she visits Metro 2 station Sz√©ll K√°lm√°n t√©r: the former post office which was built between 1923 and 1925 and that stands as a classic fortress on the hill. The architect: Gyula S√°ndy.
A very impressive building designed by the brothers J√≥zsef and L√°szl√≥ V√°g√≥. Characteristical for the majority of their designs is that both outside and inside the building is a "gesammt-kunstwerk". Very beautiful ornamentations which partial returning in other V√°g√≥ buildings. Beside the brothers used for this building snowdrops as a theme for the ornamentation. These are used in the walls and floor of the entrance hall, the railing of the stairwell and in the stained-glass windows.