Budapest Architects around 1900 - Emil Vidor (1867-1952)
Topics: Introduction * Career * Interesting facts * Impressions of Julius * Buildings designed in Budapest
1894: opening its own office in Budapest. In the years that followed Vidor designed buildings in various styles, mostly villas or other buildings for the upper-class. One of his clients for the design of several buildings was the brewery in KĂ¶bĂˇnya. Vidor's style shows, especially in the early years, similarities with those of the Belgian architect Victor Horta.
Emil Vidor belonged to the most important, leading, architects in the period 1900-1915 and designed in this period at least 25 buildings, but Julius thinks that the list below will be further extended. About the life and work of Vidor's is very little written, though he was an important architect. But Julius hopes to expand this article soon.
* Father: Sigmund, M.D (or Dr. Zsigmond), mother: Jeanette Davidsohn, they got married on June 20, 1866 in Pest;
* In the database of marri ages is written that both were coming from Pest, in the database of the births is written that father was born in Nagy Kallo;
* During the marriage at least the following children were born: Emil (March 27, 1867), Margit (May 10, 1868), Leo (March 4, 1870), Tekla (March 21, 1871, name of the mother written as "Nanette"), Hedwig (March 16, 1873), Bela (November 2, 1874), Alfred (October 31, 1876), Gyula (August 3, 1878), Julia (June 6, 1880), Zoltan Samuel (July 27, 1887). Five of these children died at a very young age;
* Emil Vidor was one of the numerous architects of Jewish origin.
The BĂ©dĹ‘-hĂˇz is beautifully restored. Not the location of the so called Art Nouveau "museum"but the apartment complex next to it is mainly of a high achitectural value. Inside this building numerous Art Nouveau ornamentations, and very beautiful (restored) stained-glass windows... breathtaking! Not known by many persons is that around the corner from the BedĹ‘-hĂˇz yet another magnificent Vidor property is to find. Numerous Vidor buildings needs to be restored especially his former own house on the VI. Liszt Ferenc tĂ©r 2.
Emil Vidor was also an architect with an eye for detail, it is very evident to see in some of the Palatine-hĂˇzĂˇk (XIII. district) and the building of the V. HonvĂ©d utca 16. The funny thing is that for example the metal ornamentation of the fence of the elevator are identical in both buildings.
This re use of details makes buildings also easy to date and to recognize as a "Vidor" building. For example, the above described buildings on the XIII. Pozsonyi Ăşt 2-18 and on the V. HonvĂ©d utca 16, the premises at the V. Falk Miksa utca 5 and 6-8 and the building of the IX. RadĂˇy utca 4, all have the same floor ornamentation / tiles (see photo left). The signature on the slab of the building on the VIII. NĂ©pszinhĂˇz utca 22 is identical on the signature on the slab of the building on the VII. VĂˇrosligeti fasor 33, both buildings are designed in 1905/1906.
The Palatinus-hĂˇzĂˇk is a series of buildings in the neighbourhoods LipĂłtvĂˇros en Ăšj-LipĂłtvĂˇros (nowadays the V. and XIII. districts, around 1910 only the V. district) all built between 1910 and 1912. Concerning the XIII. Pozsonyi Ăşt and the buildings on the V. HonvĂ©d utca it are large plots of land on which severals buildings are erected and spread out over several blocks/streets. The facade of the building on the V. HonvĂ©d utca 16 is beside it very striking too (if you view this building, also look at the upperside of the facade).
The Palatinus-hĂˇzĂˇk buildings at the Pozsonyi Ăşt have on the inside still plenty of original ornamentations such as lamps in the stairwell, ornate ironwork at the fence of the elevator, original floortiles, reliĂ«fs and so on. So, not only from the outside, but also at the inside it are very interesting buildings. A brief description of these buildings in words and pictures can be found on the page Building of the Month
The villas he designed on the VĂˇrosligeti fasor are among the finest buildings of his oeuvre, but there are diffrent dates given for the age of the buildings. Julius dates the Egger villa (nummer 24) as the most earliest building deisigned by Vidor at the VĂˇrosligeti fasor (1901-1902). VĂˇrosligeti fasor 23 from 1902-1903, VĂˇrosligeti fasor 33 from 1905/1906 and VĂˇrosligeti fasor 45 from 1906/1907.
The building on the VIII. NĂ©pszinhĂˇz utca 22 is beautiful at the outside and especially due to the splendid, but damaged, mosaic designed by A. Dudits. It's one of the buildings Vidor designed for the owners of the brewery in KĂ¶bĂˇnya. Inside the buidling is a bit disappointed, the stairwell is apart and very spacious, but of the original ornamentation (if it already has exist) is nothing left.
One of the most striking designs by Vidor is not a building, but a grave monument, designed in 1910 on the Jewish SalgĂłtarjĂˇni utca Jewish cemetery. ZoltĂˇn Bolla provided beside the information that also the striking grave monument of LĂˇszlĂł VĂˇgĂł on the FarkasrĂ©t Jewisch cemetery is an Emil Vidor design.
Two buildings on the list below: IX. RadĂˇy utca 4 and VIII. JĂˇnos PĂˇl pĂˇpa tĂ©r 11 are possible designed by Emil Vidor, several ornamentations used in other Vidor buildings are also used in these buildings but further research have to be done to be 100% sure.
Nowadays you still can find the following buildings in Budapest which are designed by Emil Vidor:
1901-1902 - VI. VĂˇrosligeti fasor 24: Egger villa
1902-1903 - VII. VĂˇrosligeti fasor 23: Schwarz villa
1901-1903 - V. BĂˇthory utca 9: Dawidson-hĂˇz
1903 - V. HonvĂ©d utca 3: BedĹ‘-hĂˇz
1905-1906 - VII. VĂˇrosligeti fasor 33: Vidor villa
1906 - VI. Liszt Ferenc tĂ©r 2: lakĂłhĂˇz
1906 - VIII. NĂ©pszĂnhĂˇz utca 22: PolgĂˇri SerfĂ´zde bĂ©rhĂˇza/Dreher lakĂłhĂˇz (also called SĂ¶rĂ¶s palota)
1907 - VI. Liszt Ferenc tĂ©r 5: lakĂłĂ©pĂĽlet
1906-1907 - VII. VĂˇrosligeti fasor 45: Wodianer-hĂˇz
1907 - VI. Rippl-RĂłnai utca 13: gr. Apponyi-hĂˇz
1908 - XI. Kemenes utca 10: villa
1908 - XI. Kemenes utca 12-14: Rosenfeld-hĂˇz
1911-1912 - V. Falk Miksa uta 6-8: lakĂłhĂˇz
1911-1912 - V. Falk Miksa utca 5: lakĂłhĂˇz
1911 - XIII. Pozsonyi Ăşt 2-18: Palatinus-hĂˇzĂˇk (3 seperate buildings)
1911 - VIII. JĂˇnos PĂˇl pĂˇpa tĂ©r 11: lĂˇkĂłhĂˇz (not for 100% sure, date around)
1912 - V. HonvĂ©d utca 14 / AlkotmĂˇny utca 4: lakĂłhĂˇz
1912 - V. HonvĂ©d utca 16: lakĂłhĂˇz
1912 - V. HonvĂ©d utca 18: lakĂłhĂˇz
1912-1913 - IX. Raday utca 4: lakĂłhĂˇz (not for 100% sure, date based on the used ornamentations)
1913-1914 - II. Ady Endre utca 15-17: lakĂłhĂˇz
1914-1915 - X. GitĂˇr utca 23 / SĂ¶rgyĂˇr utca 1: PolgĂˇri SerfĹ‘zde Rt. igazgatĂłsĂˇgi Ă©pĂĽlete
1916 - X. MaglĂłdi Ăşt 6: lakĂłhĂˇz (gyĂˇrtelep kapuĂ©pĂĽlete? - together with Opaterny FlĂłris)
1922 - X. SĂ¶rgyĂˇr utca 16: KĹ‘bĂˇnyai PolgĂˇri SerfĹ‘zĹ‘ Rt. igazgatĂłi villĂˇja
1924 - II. HĂˇzmĂˇn utca 7: PintĂ©r-villa
1925 - XIV. HungĂˇria KĂ¶rĂĽt 167: rebuilding of theSĂnylĂ¶k MenhĂˇza, originally designed by Vilmos Freund and built 1891-1893 - e.g. adding of a third floor (together with JĂłzsef Mann)
1927-1928 - V. Vaci Ăşt 24: shops
Grave monuments1910 - Vilmos Freund (TĂłszegi-Freund familie) tomb on the SalgĂłtarjĂˇni utca Jewish cemetery
1934 - LĂˇszlĂł VĂˇgĂł grave tomb/monument on the FarkasrĂ©t Jewish cemetery
(List subject to changes!)